This recipe comes from our friend Brynley Jones who is a trained chef, recipe conjurer, and photographer who has a penchant for food photography. Under the brand name of Hanger Pains. We would like to introduce all of SushiSushi fans to his lovely recipes! Make sure to check his website out too!
For the stuffed Squid
Sauce to mix with squid stuffing
1. Heat a frying pan on medium heat and add oil, gently fry the ginger and garlic until soft and fragrant. Add finely diced carrots and cook for 5- 10 minutes until they just become soft.
2. Next add the ground pork, chives, spring onions, chili and cook the pork till it turns opaque and slightly colours. Turn down the heat to low.
3. In a bowl, mix the soy sauce, mirin, rice vinegar, and miso paste until well combined, and there are no lumps.
4. In a separate bowl combine cornstarch and water to make a slurry.
5. Pour the Miso Paste and soy sauce mix over the ground pork and cook for 10 minutes until slightly reduced then add in the cornstarch slurry to thicken the sauce. Turn off the heat.
6. Drain, rinse and chop the shirataki noodles into roughly 1cm pieces and add to a large bowl along with the ground pork stuffing. Add the Furikake seasoning, mix it all up till well combined and leave to cool.
For best results, I would recommend using a piping bag to pipe the stuffing into the squid tubes. Alternatively, you could put the stuffing mix into a Ziplock/sandwich bag and cut a corner off.