Noodle soup is one of the most popular dishes in Asia. This Shirataki spin on a classic ramen dish is a seriously tasty way to eat the low carb and low fat noodles. Miso, dashi and shirataki noodles are gluten free (though please double check the label of whatever you purchase). Instant dashi sometimes contains MSG, so if you're concerned about that you can make your own dashi with bonito flakes. You could always leave it out entirely and add in an extra splash of soy sauce.
For the soup stock, use either a fresh of stock cube based pork or vegetable stock.
2 x 400g (200g drained) packs of shirataki noodles
200g Sliced bamboo shoots (optional)
2L Pork or vegetable Stock (fresh or otherwise)
2 teaspoons instant dashi (Japanese bonito stock)
1 tablespoon soy sauce good ( quality such as Yamasa or Kikkoman)
4 tablespoons shiro miso paste (white miso)
200g cubed firm tofu
100 g fresh bean sprouts
1 x Spring onion, finely chopped
4 x pinches of Shichimi Togarishi
1) In a large pot, add the stock, dashi and soy sauce. Bring to a boil over high heat.
2) Meanwhile bring another pan to a simmer and par-boil the shirataki noodles for 2 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water in a sieve or colander.
3) Remove stock from the heat allow to cool for 1 minute then stir in the miso paste. Taste the soup and add an additional 1 to 2 tablespoons of miso depending on how strong you want the miso taste.
4) Divide the noodles into 4 large bowls
5) Ladle the soup stock into each bowl.
6) Top each bowl with fresh bean sprouts, cubed tofu and spring onions. Top with shichimi togarishi (japanese seven spice pepper) for an authentic chilli kick if required.
Send us your pics of how you get on and we'll pop them below :)