How to Make Miso Chicken
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Tender, juicy, and highly flavourful, miso chicken is a delicious dinner option that is simple to make at home. In this recipe, the chicken is marinated overnight in miso and then pan-fried until brown and crispy. It is then served over steamed rice and drizzled with more sweet and savoury miso sauce.
The great thing about this recipe is its versatility. Try miso chicken with different types of miso to see which you like best. White miso is made from soybeans and rice and fermented for 6 months to create a light and slightly sweet flavour. Red miso is made from soybeans, sometimes barley, and other grains and has a longer fermentation process of around 12 months to create a richer, umami taste. You can also add other ingredients, such as kimchi sauce, to the miso to give it a spicy kick.
To get the most flavour from the chicken, it’s best to marinate for up to 24 hours. However, you can marinate fewer hours if you’re short on time.
HOW TO MAKE MISO CHICKEN
Making juicy, flavourful chicken at home has never been easier. When served over an ample portion of white rice, miso chicken is a hearty, filling meal.
- 2 boneless, skin-on chicken thighs
- 30ml all-purpose miso sauce
- 5ml neutral-flavoured oil
- 30ml all-purpose miso sauce
- 30ml water
- Toasted white sesame seeds
- ½ spring onion (chopped)
1. Use the tip of a knife to prick the chicken skin. This allows the fat to more easily render. Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel and place the chicken into a plastic, resealable bag.
2. Add the miso sauce to the bag, remove all excess air from the bag, and seal it closed.
3. Rub the outside of the plastic bag to distribute the miso sauce all over the chicken. Place the bag in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
4. Remove the chicken from the plastic bag and remove as much miso sauce as possible from the chicken using a paper towel. The chicken should be completely dry.
5. Heat oil in a large frying pan. Distribute the oil evenly on the bottom of the pan.
6. Place the chicken in the pan skin-side down. Do not overcrowd the chicken.
7. Turn the heat on medium-low and slowly cook the chicken to allow the fat to render. Cook for 7 minutes, only touching the chicken to occasionally press it down with a spatula.
8. Once the skin is nicely browned and the edges are opaque, flip the chicken and cook the other side for an additional 5 minutes or until well-browned. Once nicely browned on both sides, remove from the pan and place on a cutting board. The chicken should read a safe temperature of 74°C (165°F).
9. Use a paper towel to wipe away the oil in the frying pan. Add the miso sauce and water to the frying pan. Bring the sauce to a simmer. Once it thickens, turn off the heat.
10. Cut the chicken into about 0.6 cm strips and serve over steamed rice. Drizzle the sauce over the chicken and add the chopped spring onion and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.