You might know fried Udon from the Chinese takeaway, but Japanese udon is often in dashi soup. Many of you might not like Natto, but natto is a superfood and it is really good for you. If you don't like the stickiness of natto, try this dish. It will be in soup so they won't be stringy.
1. Boil the udon. While you are boiling the noodle, make the soup. (dashi and soy sauce, mirin, water)
2. Mix natto and the soy sauce that comes with natto.
3. Crack the egg in the measuring cup and add natto in it and mix them together.
4. Once the udon is boiled and the soup is heated, add the udon in the soup and egg/natto.
5. Turn off the hob and wait for the egg to be slightly cooked.
6. sprinkle your favourite topping and it is ready to eat!
Dashi refers to a family of soup stocks used as the base for miso soup and other popular Japanese dishes. This incredibly simple, yet tasty, broth contains extracted umami components, such as amino acids and flavors from kelp and other ingredients to create a tasty balance of flavors.